Saturday, April 21, 2007

Tasty Chinatown - FB2B, part 53

Not to ignore anything else that happened this week in the world, in fact, as the killings happened in my home state and as someone who was from my hometown died, it's actually sort of hard to just pretend it didn't take place. I'm not even going to try to avoid it. As much as anyone doesn't want to hear it now, from my own personal, direct experience with the events of 5+ years ago, for me, it does get easier as the years go by, although you really never will forget what it was like - before and after.

Like 09/11, where it would be nice to turn the clock back to 09/10 and return to more innocent times, would that we could all just stay on last Sunday, prior to the ugliness of Monday morning's carnage. Time, however, has other ideas, and likes to continue moving forward, ever forward.

This is good for many reasons, not the least of which is that today was the annual Taste of Chinatown. Yippee!!! I'm not sure how I've managed not to go to this any year I've lived here, but this year, it was my mission to get there, nothing was going to get in my way. Fortunately, nothing did. Tastings from lots of restaurants, all with $1.00 and $2.00 plates. It was like a progressive dim sum outing (hmm... has anyone actually put one of those together yet?).

There was a little bit of everything available so I'm really glad that the brochure included a map with the restaurants indexed and numbered. This was serious foodie organization. I'd set myself a budget of $10.00. I didn't even manage to spend all of it. The weather was really warm, the food, really fried, and after a bit - like with dim sum - I had to say, "No more."

Then, a few hours later, after I'd headed back uptown to avoid the second wave of folks coming to the festival, I started getting hungry and wondered what there was in the house for dinner.


[For more information about the food vendors, activities and events, please check out www.TasteOfChinatown.com]






Egg rolls and fried wontons and stuffed fried buns, oh my


Fried mussels and steamed buns and shrimp buns as well


Tables full of jellies, noodles and sandwiches for me to try


And noodles or rice, they both look quite nice

Noodles in the park - what could be a more perfect day?

A sweetie perhaps


or maybe some tea?


Or how about bread with shrimps paste, fried and crispy?
(this was so delicious)


Or perhaps you fancy something a bit more meaty?


But don't forget to save room for some Peking Duck



Yum! This was the longest line I had to wait on all day. It was, by far, the most popular stand.

And, if you are so inspired you can write your own fortune cookie and wish yourself luck.

Buon appetito!

No comments:

All Images and Text copyright by The Experimental Gourmand 2005-2011. All rights reserved.