Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bi Bim Bap

I don't make it a habit of shying away from new food things. While I might not always dive right into them, I generally give new tastes at least a chance. So, today, on the cafeteria menu was Bi Bim Bap. The description of it wasn't at all inoffensive, but the concept was one I hadn't tried before.

A Korean dish, the base was rice, accompanied by various vegetables, garnished with meat, and topped with a fried egg. It was really the egg that sold me on the dish. I didn't think that a dish with an egg on top could be all bad.

The dishes were made to order so I had to get on line today to pick out my lunch. Alongside the rice, I picked out kimchi (naturally), pickled carrots, sesame-spicy tofu, bean sprouts, shitake mushrooms, and beef. A dash of hot sauce was added to the vegetables. Then, the fried egg was put on top.

I'm glad I gave this new dish a chance. The meal was a great combination of flavors and textures. There was enough heat to keep everything from being a boring mush once mixed together. It even helped keep me full long enough to tackle a busy workday afternoon. The next time this is on the cafeteria menu, I won't hesitate to get it again.

Buon appetito!

No comments:

All Images and Text copyright by The Experimental Gourmand 2005-2011. All rights reserved.