Saturday, May 05, 2007

Cinco de Mayo Part Dos - FB2B, part 55

You know me, I can’t keep from tinkering with things. That’s why, sometimes, it’s such a struggle to write down the recipes I put on the blog. It's not always easy to capture on paper (or computer) the tastes I like or want to share. Being a bit lazy, as well, I also like to try to adapt recipes that I already have to make them into something else.

So, I had the other half of the tomatillo salsa left over from last week’s recipe, and I needed to put it to good use. When I’d been reading and doing research for the Chilaquiles I made last week, some recipes articles pointed out that this is actually more of a breakfast dish. Aside from just being a huge brunch fan in general, I love getting huevos rancheros, and this seemed like it could be a bit similar.

Hmm....maybe this would become my new favorite. The only change I made from the recipe on last week’s post was to omit the chicken. Instead, I layered the tortilla chips, cheese, and salsa and baked it in the oven. I even had some left over black beans and rice that I could serve on the side.

The rest of the adjustments are easy. I used blue and yellow corn tortillas to make the dish a little more colorful. Then, I fried up an egg to serve with the baked dish. Sprinkle w/ extra chopped coriander/fresh cilantro. Serve with guacamole and sour cream if desired.

To accompany this, you could try one of the Sunrise Mimosas from my Easter Brunch post last year. Or maybe treat yourself to that raspberry margarita. As this article points out, you might even end up w/ some antioxidant benefits - now that is good news we can use!

Buon appetito!

No comments:

All Images and Text copyright by The Experimental Gourmand 2005-2023. All rights reserved. No reprints or copies permitted without express written permission of the author.