Sunday, July 15, 2007

French Food - FB2B, part 64

It's that time of year again. The annual Alliance Française Bastille Day eat-fest, err celebration, is today. I hadn't originally planned to spend my Sunday in Midtown strolling along 60th Street checking out all the goodies on offer, but the weather is gorgeous and a friend told me last night when we were having drinks that she had made it her mission to go this year. When someone says to you that he/she has had this marked on his/her calendar for months, it is a serious endeavor even among the general food-obsessed in New York.




Last week, I'd taken a break as my sister drove up to the city (thanks, sis!) with boxes and boxes of kitchen equipment and books (mostly cookbooks) that I'd had in storage at my parent's house. I'd actually planned to spend the Bastille Day weekend going through the French ones looking for inspiration, but somehow it just seems easier today to head to the street fair and buy something ready-made. As you can see from last year's post, I don't think I'll be suffering for choice or losing anything by taking a pass on heating up my own kitchen.

Unlike other events of this type, there is a method to the madness that can be hoards of people all clamoring around the same tables in the three-block length of the festival.

1. Start at one end and saunter to the other, scoping out what's on offer.

2. Remember what was worth eating last time you were there and search for those tables this year.

3. Decide on a plan of action and map out your strategy. My co-conspirators and I opted to eat savory things first and then went for the sweet.

With these simple rules in mind, we successfully tackled Bastille Day 2007.

Baguettes with duck, chicken liver mousse, pate, and all sorts of wonderful things


Where there's smoke and fire....

There's likely to be merguez (spicy lamb sausages)

Savory cheese puffs and tarts with goat's cheese olives and tomatoes

Chocolate treats each for $1.00

Strawberry tarts and puff pastry with peaches

Cakes and macaroons

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

All Images and Text copyright by The Experimental Gourmand 2005-2023. All rights reserved. No reprints or copies permitted without express written permission of the author.