Sunday, October 21, 2007

U.S.-UK Lexicon - FB2B, part 78

In my Kitchen Witch Tips, which appear at the bottom of several recipes, I've often noted some "translations" for cooking terms that I've used. Having lived in a few different countries, my recipes come from various sources and inspirations. As two countries separated by a common language (A fact noted by Oscar Wilde and George Bernard Shaw - yes, I know that this is not an exact quote by either of them.), most of my interpretations are from English to American.

For future ease of reference for those who use my recipes, I'm actually going to bring together here all those little tidbits embedded in my recipes throughout the blog. I'm hoping that this will make it a bit easier to convert between the two and to bring our culinary palates into greater appreciation one for the other.

Just another quite point, BBC Good Food has started using only metric measurements in its on-line listings. Cookware in the U.S. is often sold using both imperial and metric. If you do use international recipes and cookbooks, it is helpful to keep these on hand and also to invest in a kitchen scale that weights in both pounds and kilos.

Buon appetito!

Cilantro = Coriander (fresh)
Eggplant = Aubergine
Zucchini = Courgette
Superfine sugar = Caster sugar
Confectioners' sugar = Icing sugar
Heavy whipping cream = Double cream
Light whipping cream = Single cream
Light brown sugar = Light Muscavado sugar
Dark brown sugar = Dark Muscavado sugar
Tuna Salad = Tuna Mayonnaise
Egg Salad = Egg Mayonnaise

No comments:

All Images and Text copyright by The Experimental Gourmand 2005-2023. All rights reserved. No reprints or copies permitted without express written permission of the author.